Donald Trump or Jesus Christ. Who should we follow?
- One promises to make America great again; the other rejected the Satanic temptation to rule.
- One promises a wall and false security; the other demands hospitality for the refugee and tells us to “fear not.”
- One dismisses his competitors calling them “Losers”; the other calls us to love and respect our enemies.
And this list could go on and on.
No politician is perfect. And a vote for one is rarely an act of devotion. Our salvation is never to be found in a Democrat or a Republican.
Still, if a religious life is to have meaning, if faith is to have some purpose, it ought to drive us toward our better angels. Discipleship calls us to discern; it begs us to choose.
- Where the evil one tempts us with “winning,” we are called to care for those who are losing.
- In moments where fear rises, we follow faithfully in seeking hope.
- When empire offers its faith promises, we resist knowing that our Kin(g)dom is not of this Earth.
Jesus or Trump. Who will you follow?